According to the Prophet of Allah, Muhammad ﷺ, kalonji’s benefits in Islam are numerous. Abu Huraira, the famous companion of the Prophet ﷺ said that the Prophet ﷺ informed him that the black seeds should be used regularly as they are a cure for every disease except death. With its benefits scientifically proven today, the recommendation of use of the black seed dates back to the era of the Prophet as its use was commonly proposed by him.
What are Kalonji Seeds / Black Seeds?
With its botanical name Nigella Sativa, the kalonji / black seed plant grows in some parts of Asia, Northern Africa and the Arabian peninsula. The plant belongs to the buttercup (Ranunculaceae) family.
The plant has pale blue or white flowers, delicate leaves and the plant reaches a height of twelve to eighteen inches. When the fruit of the plant matures, it opens up and inside it are several of these black seeds.
The seeds are tiny and have a rough surface. They have a crunchy texture and a slightly bitter and peppery taste. Upon rubbing, their aroma is a lot like that of oregano. The black seed has many other names including onion seeds, black caraway or even cumin seeds.
Muslims using the Kalonji Seeds / Black Seeds
The kalonji / black seed has been in use for thousands of years and the Muslims have been using it and promoting its use for hundreds of years.
Along with being a Prophetic herb, as in recommended by the Prophet ﷺ himself, the kalonji holds a very special place in the medicine of the Prophet. Surprisingly it wasn’t used until the Prophet Muhammad popularized its use during his time. In fact, the use and popularity of the black seed is commonly known as ‘ the Remedy of the Prophet’.
Nutrients in Kalonji or the Black Seed
The black seed is very rich in several nutrients which have a direct impact on the life of a person.
- Black seed contains around 15 amino acids, protein, iron, calcium, potassium and sodium.
- It is a very good source of vitamin A, B1, B2, C and niacin and its intake can fulfil the daily requirements of these nutrients.
- It also contains essential compounds like thymoquinone, dithymoquinone, thymohydroquinone and thymol.
- Black seed also has antihistamine, antibiotic, antioxidant and antimycotic properties.
All in all, black seed contains some very powerful nutrients that make it very beneficial for health.
The Benefits of Kalonji or the Black Seed
The Prophetic reference describes black seed as a healer for all illnesses. This reference is certainly not exaggerated as the black seed has quite a lot of benefits.
- The black seed is beneficial for the stomach and digestive health in many ways. It aids in the digestion of food, has carminative and diuretic properties and keeps the digestive system in the best shape. It also provides relief from several stomach disorders.
- The intake of black seed also promotes and regulates menstruation.
- It also works as a galactagogue and increases the production of milk.
- Black seed is also known to dissolve boils and swelling.
- Black seed also works as a stimulant and increases the flow of adrenaline as well as energy.
- This seed is also very beneficial for boosting and maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Research has also suggested that black seed works effectively for the treatment of several types of cancers including breast cancer.
- The black seed can also possibly treat high blood pressure.
Several researches have been conducted to back these acclaimed benefits. Many researches that have taken place in many different countries studied the benefits of black seed on immunity. And it was proved that the intake of black seed strengthens the immune system.
Several magazines have also published research studying the effects of black seed on various types of cancers and tumors. The research came out supporting the black seed’s anticancer claims.
Use of Kalonji or the Black Seed
A spoonful of black seeds can be added to breads/ rotis of different kinds. The black seed can also be used for cooking vegetables. Moreover, black seeds can also be consumed as they are.
What has been established and backed by science has already been recommended by the Prophet several hundred years ago. The Prophet has told that the black seed is a cure for every disease and that has been proven by several researches over the years. Right from boosting the immune system to having anticancer properties, the black seed can do wonders for the human body.